A Class A CDL is required if you intend to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) that meets the following conditions:
- The truck or power unit has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more.
- The trailer or tow vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,000 lbs. or more.
However, in some instances, the truck or power unit can be under 26,001 lbs., but tow a trailer that is over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, and a Class A CDL would still be required. Such an instance may be referred to as “HotShot”.
A Class A CDL may have certain restrictions, depending on the testing vehicle. If the vehicle used to test in does not have a 5th Wheel coupling device, but only a Pintle/Hook coupling, a restriction may be added to your CDL.
What Kind of Vehicles Can I Drive with a Class A CDL?
Generally speaking, you can drive any Class B vehicle, as well as a Combination vehicle. Class A is the highest series of license an operator can obtain. So, with a Class A CDL, you can drive:
- Semi-Tractor Trailer
- Combination Buses*
* May require additional Endorsements
How much does the Class B to Class A CDL program cost?
To become a student enrolled in ELDT Academy’s Class A program, the cost is $2,495.00. It is a 2-week program, Monday through Friday. Weekend classes may be available.
- Pre-Permitting Written Exam Training
- General Knowledge Theory Training
- Air Brake Theory Training
- Combinations Theory Training
- Class A Skills Training
- Class A Road Training
- State Exam with Two (2) Attempts
What other fees should I expect to pay?
- Initial Permitting Fees (around $20)
- D.O.T. Physical w/ Drug & Alcohol Screen (around $85)
- Final Licensing Fee (around $85, varies depending on state)
What is the process to get started?
Our Recruiters will walk you through every step of the process, from entry through graduation. The process is fairly simple:
- Contact an ELDT Recruiter to get upcoming class info.
- Submit an Application
- Establish means of payment (Cash or Financing)
- Schedule your D.O.T. Physical with a FMCSA certified provider.
- Obtain your state driving record (MVR Report)
- Study for the written exam(s) at the DMV.
- Schedule for the written exam(s) at the DMV.
- Start class once all financing has been approved.
The process takes as long as you take, to be honest. If you follow the Recruiters instructions, and quickly submit what is required, you could be starting in as little as 1 week.
Do you offer financing?
ELDT Academy does work with providers that offer financing options. Speak to your Recruiter about the best option that may work for you.
Ready to Move Forward?
Call Us at 1-855-353-8235 or Email Us at firstname.lastname@example.org